Saturday, January 12, 2008

Obligatory Strike Post

Psych was on last night and I loved it, and all that, but it made me realize something about the strike, and television, and even myself in general- that it is one of three shows that I really love.

And this is disturbing, because I’m the girl who watches EVERYTHING. No, really. I’ve watched almost every show on television. Brothers and Sisters? Watch it. Private Practice? Tape (what? It’s on against Criminal Minds.) Cane? I don’t care that it’s new and it sucks, dammit, I was there.

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, the strike changed everything. I don’t watch primetime TV anymore, really. At least not in the same obsessive compulsive way I would get upset if I missed an Ugly Betty episode that would happen in the past. Ugly Betty was on Thursday, I think the last new one- and I didn’t watch it. I honestly couldn’t think of a good reason to get invested in a storyline about fake people that weren’t going to be there then next week.

I still watch TV, quite a lot, in fact, but it’s in a whole new way. It’s rarely during primetime, I’ll read or surf the internet instead, I’ll watch crap I never would have dreamed of watching three months ago, because it’s funny and it’s on. But I’m not as into scripted shows anymore.

So, WGA and AMPTP? You’ve lost me. And as someone who has actually planned WORK SCHEDULES around TV viewing? If you’ve lost me, think of the others uckers who have lives that you screwed over. Sucks to be you.

What are the three shows that I really, really miss? Pushing Daisies just missed the cut, if only because I think I’ll sound like a TV slut if I say I love and absolutely could not live without FOUR shows, and anyway it’s new and we’re not as emotionally connected. Psych is one, and I’m so happy that I have it until April for the second half of the season. How I Met Your Mother is the second. I don’t know how to explain how much I love this show- maybe it’s the new Friends, or maybe I’m just a dork. But damn, do I want it back. Boston Legal is the last one, because even though it’s morally bankrupt and stands for everything I don’t, that hour every week it was on? I was TRULY entertained.

I'm sure this will change back as soon as there are new episodes back on, but I don't think it's an entirely bad thing if it finally stops me from watching Grey's Anatomy every week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love psych!!!!!!!!!!

webberpa said...

I, too, am a t.v. show addict!!! Not a problem at all, but not enough time in the day.