Monday, April 11, 2005

Grey's Anatomy- or why med schools should have an age restriction

I'm really sorry to the two people who actually read this that I haven't put anything up since last Thursday. I have been watching TV, and quite a lot of it, but I haven't really watched anything noteworthy. Well, except CSI: Original last Thursday- which was so shockingly good that I can't even recap it. I mean, when they find a prostate in there...whoa!! But Joey was a rerun, and so was Will and Grace. Although that probably wouldn't have mattered, because that show really lost it's edge when Leo came in. Now they're just dead in the water. And ER was a rerun with Neela whining (as usual) about her job and how she hates being a doctor. Blah, blah, blah... But last night there were some good shows on...so we're moving on...

I did watch Arrested Development last night, and it was actually quite disappointing. Not as funny as the earlier ones. I still don't want it to be cancelled, but they do need to get on the ball with that one. Too much spring break and not enough plot. There was the funny narrator part--- Ron Howards "I'm overworked and underpaid and totally deserve an Emmy for this" speech. And then I watched a couple of minutes of Desperate Housewives, which, while being rather stupid and annoying, is kind of interesting. I think I shall begin watching...

But the main view of the evening was ABC's "Grey's Anatomy". Otherwise known as the show that kicked Boston Legal off the air for six months. Grrr. :( Apparently this is like med school for high-schoolers. There's the barely post-pubescent Pretty Boy who was so important that I forgot his name, Izzie, the beautiful ex-model with inexplicable perfect hair, Christina, the way-older highly competetive one, Alex, the pervy frat-boy, and the star, Meredith, who is kind of crazy also with perfect hair. Actually, I have trouble telling her and Izzie apart except that Izzie has square front teeth. Other than that, they're pretty much twins. And they all live together in an implausibly huge mansion. Uh-huh. It's not like med school is expensive, is it? Anyway, they end up looking like girls at a Catholic boarding school ala "Trouble With Angels", except that they're giving unauthorized transfusions instead of smoking in the nun's chapel. I mean, come on- running from the Chief of Surgery because they might have fudged a little information? You're not in the ninth grade anymore!!!

I did enjoy this episode, though. There's a biker dude (whose name I forgot so he will forthwith be known as "Biker Dude") with a British accent despite the fact that this show takes place somewhere in New York, I think, who is hitting on Meredith and then demanding on leaving the hospital despite the fact that he has a gaping abdominal wound. Meredith reluctantly (with a smile, of course!) agrees, and as Biker Dude leaves he kisses Meredith. But wait- all is not perfect in paradise!! Patrick Dempsey's character (why, by the way, looked good enough for me to dust off my old Sweet Home Alabama DVD---good hair...) sees her!!! And he's not happy!!! No!!! So he bursts into the room, surprising Meredith, who looked way too comfortable sucking face with a patient, and asks (one of my favorite lines ever) "You make out with patients now?" hehehehe...I'm sorry, this just strikes me as funny for some reason. So she mumbles something about the chase or soemthing and you kind of get the feeling that their relationship is rather unresolved. Whatever. The hair was working in the scene. :)

There's a bunch of other story lines going on too, but I had trouble keeping track of them. Pretty Boy has a patient who is being really weird and hitting on him, which wouldn't be so bad except that its a dude. Nasty. So he spends most of the being awkward. Boring. And there's a brain dead guy who hasn't been identified yet, leading Christina and Izzie to fight to keep him alive long enough to become an organ donor. This is funny, because it's Sandra Oh at her bloodthirty best salivating over the possibility of sitting in on an organ harvest surgery. I think she's harboring some resentment over that breakup with the Sideways guy... This story line also gives us the chance to see Izzie having a sweet moment with the brain dead guy. (BTW, who names their daughter Izzie?)

Oooh, and this also gives us the Trouble with Angels-esque moment where Meredith and Christina talk to the head of surgury through the men's room door. And these people have M.D.'s after their names?

So the story goes along for like another hour and finally wraps up with a really gross organ harvest operation (I actually never wanted to see a kidney in a Zip-Loc bag...), and the creepy guy hitting on Pretty Boy isn't really gay- he's just...weird. Gross. Ooooh, and Biker Dude shows up again, this time with blood coming out of his mouth. So Meredith (perceptive one...) pulls up his shirt and you see this gross puffy thing that looks like Sigourney Weaver in Aliens...before the alien popped out of her chest. *shivers* Nasty. But of course they resolve that, and the episode ends with Patrick Dempsey, whose character has nothing to do but leer and firt with Meredith and yet runs around in scrubs all day, having a moment with Meredith. How sweet. Then there's this rather annoying "uplifting" voice-over by Meredith a at the end- you know, stuff like "It's actually all about saving lives...and rainbows are fun!". The last scene is the whole group of sixteen-year-olds---I'm sorry, interns watching surgical tapes and eating pizza. PIZZA???? What the hell is up with that??? Couldn't they think of something less gross to eat? Ew.

All in all, a very solid series, if you like watching the people supposedly saving you're life acting like high-schoolers. And not very mature ones at that. I'll definately watch again---mainly I want to see if Sandra Oh goes crazy and starts killing everybody screaming "Take that Alexander---Sideways would be nothing without me!!!!" :)

2 comments:

Racergirl179 said...

Just FYI "Grey's Anatomy" takes place in Seattle not New York and the only reason Meridith lives in a supper huge mansion is because her mom is a supper famous surgon who is like supper rich. (Now is in a nursing home-like place 'cause she is sick)

mi_morena said...

Do we know why she's sick??? And I kind of didn't think it was New York, but it really didn't look like LA and I couldn't tell from the skyline. I knew her mom was a really good surgeon (hence the videos) but I didn't know she was super-rich. Does that explain why they're all acting like tenth-graders?