Saturday, February 18, 2006

Numbers

Okay, so in an effort to expand my viewing parameters and also find something to watch during the wasteland that is Friday night TV (and for those of us without lives, this is a fairly important goal) I watched Numbers last night. Or, as all the little CBS ads proclaim "NUMB3RS" as if sticking a "3" in there instead of an "E" makes it so much more cool.

First, I'd like to say that was prettiest group of mathematicians that I've ever seen. In fact, one of the prettier groups of people in general that I've seen.

I kind of know the jist of the story because CBS promotes this thing like nothing else- seriously, if you'd put a couple thousand more advertising into CSI:NY, maybe it would make it into the top 10 more often. I'm just saying... So there are two brothers, one is some sort of FBI guy and the other is Barney the Head Elf...no, wait, that was the Santa Clause movies...he's a mathematician with an incredible budget for hair product in this one. And he helps his brother solve crimes. Oh, and there's a girl for no reason at all. Except to be preternaturally pretty. Which seems to be the function of most girls on CBS dramas.

At first there was just too much math. I'm not even completely clear on what an algorithem is much less really interested in it's crime-solving capablilities. I decided that now was a good time to clean my room and fold laundry. And no show should ever do that. But then it actually got kind of interesting, and the really confusing algorithem was used to find a killer who was doing things with cell phones that I don't understand. Frankly, I just figured out voicemail. That was an accomplishment. When I try to send a picture it's still hit or miss. But the show was interesting.

And this episode has Colin Hanks as a guest star- a rival mathematician. I've decided to marry him. First, think of the money and connections. Second, he's really cute. He got like all the good parts from his dad (no, I don't think Tom Hanks is hot) and presumably some good parts from his mom, because he could totally do that geek thing. Although his presence couldn't save King Kong.

So in general a good show. As long as it's not up against anything else, I think I'll keep watching.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen Numbers....must be up against something I can't live without!!!!! Won't Johnny be upset that you have your eye on young Mr. Hanks??????? :):):)

mi_morena said...

Well, you know, Johnny read this and called me and was all upset and I had to calm him down and assure him that he was, in fact, my soulmate, and nothing could ever change that.:)

Anonymous said...

Oh I am sooooooo glad you and Johnny worked things out....you are such a fabulous couple!!!!!